News List

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

City of Atlanta Clears Woodruff Park without Incident

Post Date:10/25/2011

Mayor Kasim Reed Revokes Executive Order; Atlanta Police Department arrests 52 Occupy Atlanta Protesters

ATLANTA -- Mayor Kasim Reed on Tuesday revoked the Executive Order he issued on October 17, 2011 allowing Occupy Atlanta protesters to remain legally in Woodruff Park after 11 p.m. Mayor Reed based his decision on concerns about public safety and escalating tension in the park. Throughout the day on Tuesday, one protester openly walked through the park with an AK47 assault rifle.

At 11:50 p.m., city officials entered Woodruff Park and announced to protesters that anyone remaining in the park after midnight would face arrest. Two subsequent warnings were issued and at approximately 12:45 a.m., Atlanta police officers entered the park and arrested 53 Occupy Atlanta protesters without incident. Arrestees were transported to the Atlanta Detention Center.

“For more than two weeks, the City of Atlanta, downtown residents and business owners have shown tolerance and patience for the members of Occupy Atlanta,” Mayor Reed said. “The protesters, however, moved from conducting an initially peaceful demonstration to increasingly aggressive actions. These actions led to my decision today to revoke the Executive Order. I would like to commend the Atlanta Police Department on executing an operation that resulted in no incidents.”

Mayor Reed on Monday met with more than two dozen faith-based leaders for more than an hour in his office and asked for their assistance in trying to negotiate with members of Occupy Atlanta. On Tuesday, Occupy Atlanta leaders rebuffed the attempts of several leading clergy members to engage in a civil and productive dialogue about the protest. Instead, group members shouted down the clergy members on Tuesday and refused to formally meet until Thursday.

There were increasingly dangerous situations in Woodruff Park which contributed to Mayor Reed's decision. Occupy Atlanta protestors attempted to hold an unsanctioned concert over the weekend without providing the required security or crowd control plan. Last week, demonstrators inserted wire hangers into electrical sockets to create additional power sources. A number of other fire code violations occurred, including repeated storage of propane heaters and twenty-gallon propane tanks inside tents. With more than 75 tents located in a confined area, these actions demonstrated a persistent and dangerous disregard for public safety.


For more information about City of Atlanta, please visit or watch City Channel 26
Return to full list >>
View Full Site