Thế giới cáThe City of Atlanta requires a set-aside of affordable housing units for new multifamily rental developments with at least 10 units if the development is receiving a public subsidy. This is codified by Section 54-1 of the City of Atlanta’s municipal code. Developers have the option to set-aside:
- 10% of their units for households at or below 60% of Area Median Income (AMI); or
- 15% of their units for incomes at or below 80% of AMI.
Thế giới cáThis requirement usually applies to developments funded by Development Authorities doing business in the City of Atlanta. This includes , the , and . This requirement ensures that developers receiving public assistance for residential properties are providing affordable housing for low- and moderate-income Atlantans.
The purpose of the program is to promote affordable housing for Atlantans who live and work in the City of Atlanta and is designed to keep Atlanta rents relatively affordable for working individuals and households within the income range of police, firefighters, teachers, City and County employees, and young professionals.
- The affordability requirement is in effect for the subsidy agreement.
- The Affordable Workforce Housing Units shall be substantially similar in construction and appearance (e.g., square footage, type and brand of appliances, materials used for countertops, flooring, etc.) to the market-rate units, and shall not be in isolated areas in the development but shall be interspersed among market rate units.
- The number of bedrooms in the Affordable Workforce Housing Units (e.g. 1-bedroom, 2-bedroom, 3-bedroom) shall be proportionate to the number of bedrooms in the market rate units.
Thế giới cáThe Office of Housing & Community Development publishes income and rent limits for the program on an annual basis. Developers can also find the appropriate forms and instructions in the attachments below.
- Authorizing Legislation: 16-O-1163
- FY2020 Income and Rent Limits
- Mandatory Affordable Housing Certification Form
- Memo: Co-living Compliance with Development Authority Ordinance
- Development Authority Ordinance Land Use Restriction Agreement
Still have questions?
Address: Department of City Planning - Office of Housing and Community Development
Thế giới cá 55 Trinity Ave, Suite 1450, Atlanta, GA 30303