Does my event require a permit?

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Office of Special Events

55 Trinity Ave.

Suite 2500

Atlanta, GA 30303


Tel: 404.330.6741




The Mayor's Office of Special Events (MOSE) permits all outdoor events in the city of Atlanta. To determine if your event requires a permit, please read the following descriptions. The category your event falls under will determine which permit your event requires, how much it will cost, and if any sub-permits will be necessary.

This page is for informational purposes only. It is not the final word on what your event will require, but it is a starting point in your research. MOSE reserves the right to re-categorize your event, require additional sub-permits, and charge necessary fees upon receiving your application. For the most accurate information pertaining to your event, please contact MOSE directly.

Do I need a permit?

If you are in doubt about whether or not your proposed activity is an outdoor special event, and are unsure of what is required, ask yourself the following questions:

  • Do I expect 75 people or more to be gathered for an hour or more?
  • Even though my event is on private property, will some aspects of it spill onto the public space? (i.e. sidewalks, roads, city property or property owned by someone other than you)
  • Is there a remote chance that the safety of the participants and/or the residents of the City of Atlanta may be affected if certain aspects of the event are not properly constructed, installed, or handled? (i.e. food preparation, electrical wiring, tents, stages, generators)
  • Does your event require any City of Atlanta services? (trash pick-up, closing of streets, etc.)
  • Will I be erecting a stage, tent (10 x 10 or larger) or bleachers?
  • Will I be vending? (food, beverages, merchandise, services, charging admission on-site)
  • Will I be selling/serving Alcohol?
  • Will my event include advertising and/or product sampling?

Thế giới cáIf you answered yes to any of the above questions, please read the outdoor event permit descriptions below. If your event is in a park and include tents over 10x10, stages, vending of food or merchandise, alcohol, amusement rides or advertising/product sampling, then you will need to complete an outdoor festival application.

You do not require a permit from MOSE if you are planning an event on the following City of Atlanta properties:

  • Chastain Amphitheater 404.233.8889
  • Chastain Horse Park 404.252.4244 ext. 28
  • Atlanta Botanical Garden 404.876-5859 ext. 1585
  • Zoo Atlanta 404.624.5650
  • Piedmont Park Multipurpose Complex/Magnolia Hall 404.875.7275
  • Underground Atlanta 404.523.2311
  • Centennial Park 404.223.4412

Please contact those properties directly at the phone number listed for information on how to hold your event there.

What type of event am I?

For permitting purposes, there are three types of special events: assembly, outdoor festival, and large gathering.

Types of events


ASSEMBLIES meet two of the following three criteria:


·         Has greater than seventy-four (74) attendees

·         Travels for more than two (2) blocks, if on a city street/sidewalk or city park

·         Moving portion of the outdoor event lasts for more than one (1) hour

Some examples of an assembly are parades, marches, rallies, and races (walk, run, bike).


Here's what you'll need:

  • Completed assembly application
  • Additional documents: site plan/route
  • Application/Permit fee: $50
  • Sanitation bond: $100.00 refundable
    Sanitation bonds are only required if you have NOT received an assembly permit in the last year or if your past history includes unsatisfactory sanitation plan.
    OUTDOOR FESTIVALS meet all of the following criteria:


    ·  Anticipated attendance of at least 250 people on public property, 500 people on private property

    ·  Inclusion of entertainment, amusement rides, dancing, music, dramatic productions, art exhibitions, other exhibits or displays, the sale of merchandise, the sale of food and/or alcohol, or any combination thereof

    ·  Erection of stages, barricades, utility poles, booths, tents, or other temporary structures, or the use of parked vehicles or of permanent structures, or any combination thereof

    Here's what you'll need:

    • Completed outdoor festival application
    • Additional documents: site plan/route, safety plan, EMS plan
    • Application fee depends on whether you are a for or non-profit
    • Permit fee depends on whether you are a for or non-profit

    LARGE GATHERINGS are outdoor events that last for more than one (1) hour, have more than seventy-five (75) attendees, and do not meet the definition of either an assembly or an outdoor festival. Most large gatherings on private property do not require an event permit.

    Here's what you'll need:

    • Completed large gathering application
    • Additional documents: site plan/route
    • Application/Permit fee: $50 

    There are other types of permits and sub-permits, but these are the main three categories under which most events fall. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to call us at 404.330.6741.

    View Full Site